Sunday, April 6, 2008

Glycerine and Laudanam

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Glycerine
Current mood: angsty
Category: Uncomfortably Numb Music

I've spent more than enough time trying to interpret the lyrics of various songs written by my hero, Gavin Rossdale, lead singer of "Bush." As many of you know, I lost about ten years of my life because I was trying to swim down to the wreck of the Titanic. I wasn't successful, and I almost died trying.

During this wet period, "Bush" was popular. "Bush" is still popular, but I must admit I'm behind the times on this and so many other things. My hip friends make fun of me constantly.

My favorite song by "Bush" is "Glycerine." I've spoken with friends who know music, play guitars, and are even members of bands. I've visited websites devoted to trying to figure out what Gavin was writing about in "Glycerine."

It's really simple and obvious. "Glycerine" is about heroin. I haven't seen this theory any other place -- not even at Wikipedia.

I never tried heroin, but I would if I didn't know it would be a disaster. I already know I'd like it – too much. I'd move in to an opium den. Or I'd buy a poppy field in Afghanistan. I would do a whole bunch of dumb stuff.

Heroin and I wouldn't mix very well. Yet after one try, I would want all the heroin in the whole world, with me in the same room, and right now. I'd use it all up and watch television.

Same reason I never tried cocaine.

Wish I hadn't missed out on "Bush" though. There are many reasons for which we should admire Gavin Rossdale – in addition to his marriage to Gwen Stefani. Thankfully, XM radio plays "Bush" all the time, and I'll never get tired of listening to them, any more than I'll never stop thinking I could have made it down to the Titanic if I'd tried one more time.

Excerpt from "Glycerine," by Gavin Rossdale

Must be your skin that I'm sinkin' in
Must be for real cause now I can feel
and I didn't mind
it's not my kind
not my time to wonder why
everything's gone white
and everything's grey
now you're here now you're away
I don't want this
remember that
I'll never forget where you're at
don't let the days go by
Glycerine

I'm never alone
I'm alone all the time
are you at one
or do you lie
we live in a wheel
where everyone steals.

RPH, Esq. N.V.

No comments: